Managing Director – Job Description
Hours: 60 hours per month
Remuneration: EUR 15.20 gross per hour (flat organisation-wide rate, based on Spanish employment; freelance rates will vary based on country tax rates)
Location: Arterra Bizimodu, Navarra, Spain, or remote – to be discussed with candidate
Application deadline: 4th December 2019
Starting date: 1st February 2020 (flexible)
GEN Europe is seeking a Managing Director to lead our organisation during an exciting time of growth and transition.
You’ll be an experienced, inspirational leader, able to motivate and manage a team, but also comfortable working within a horizontal and collaborative structure. You’ll share the values of our organisation and, ideally, be knowledgeable and familiar with the European Ecovillage movement and allied movements and organisations in the sphere of regenerative, community-led, participatory development, ecological transition and climate action.
Working with us requires flexibility and adaptability, the ability to manage many and varied tasks within limited hours (so delegation is a must!), and a true passion and dedication to our vision. You’ll be able to see the big picture while not losing the details, and think outside the box to bring new ideas and solutions. As the main representative of the organisation, you’ll be comfortable with public speaking and networking to spread GEN Europe’s aims and message.
You’ll enjoy working in a relaxed, collegiate atmosphere with a friendly team while being able to hold the vision and oversee a broad, diverse and complex network organisation.
If you feel up to the challenge, please read carefully the responsibilities, experience and skills needed, and the employment procedures.
GEN Europe is committed to improving equality and diversity in our employment practices and all eligible applicants, regardless of age, race, gender, sexual orientation or disability, will be considered on merit.
- Organisational oversight, strategy design and coordination
- Link to the council connecting strategy with mission and vision of the organization
- Ensure the follow up and implementation of Sociocracy and the organizational structure in collaboration with governance working group and council
- Financial oversight (special focus on identifying and supporting fundraising opportunities and project oversight)
- Reporting and accountability to GEN Europe Members and funders
- PR & advocacy
- Represent GEN Europe and develop partnerships in international events and allied organisations
- Guide the development and implementation of GEN Europe’s political strategy (in collaboration with the Advocacy Working Group)
- Staff coordination
- Ongoing support and appraisal to staff & overview of strategy implementation
- Design and implementation of staff employment
- Development of new network activities
- Identify new potential areas of action such as projects, educational programs, events, …
- Relationships with GEN Network
- GEN Europe representation at GEN board and General Assembly
- Hold contacts and collaboration with other GEN regions’ representatives
- Member relationship
- Organize and hold the GEN Europe’s General Assembly (in collaboration with the rest of the staff)
- Maintain direct relationship with members, including representation at GEN Europe’s events
Qualities, skills and experience
- 3 to 5 years of experience in a similar role leading a team
- Understanding of financial and legal management in similar settings
- Understanding of funding and advocacy areas in NGO setting
- Fluent knowledge of English
- Facilitation experience
- Experience and ease in online collaboration and working with remote teams
- Legal right to work and travel within the EU
- Fluency in other European languages (desirable)
- Sharing the GEN Europe values:
- Social, Economic and Environmental Justice
- Inclusion and Participation
- Community and Cooperation
- Ecological, Economical, Cultural and Social Sustainability and a whole system approach
Please send a CV and cover letter outlining your experience, motivation and suitability for the role to firstname.lastname@example.org by 4th December. We envisage a flexible starting date of 1st February 2020.